Merriam Webster’s definition of a “Quilt”– A bed coverlet of two layers of cloth filled with batting held in place with ties or a stitched design.
Here at QuiltMyShirts.com, we make T-shirt quilts.We do not advertise quilts and then make you a blanket, as some other t-shirt “quilt” companies are doing. Why does it matter? Blankets are stretchy and thin. They will only hold up as long as the t-shirt holds up. How many of your shirts have seen better days just from wear? A blanket will wear out just like your shirts. There is nothing in-between the shirts and the fleece backing to keep them stabilized.
T-shirt blankets are made by taking the stretchy t-shirts and constructing them (envelope style) with a stretchy fleece fabric for backing. There is no reinforcement to stabilize these two layers. When they are washed the 2 layers have the tendency to shrink at different percentages, resulting in a distorted throw. They are very economical as they only take a few steps to construct, but unfortunately you will only get a few more years out of your t-shirts.
Our quilts are different. We produce a premium, quality product. They are made with the finest quilter-grade fabrics (Retail $11/yrd+), high-end cotton blend battings and professionally machine quilted using state-of-the-art computerized equipment to apply patterns that are less than 2″ apart for density. This process stabilizes all 3 layers and is the secret to your quilt lasting a lifetime.
Bottom line…..There is a world of difference between a t-shirt blanket vs. a t-shirt quilt. Make sure you research the differences on your own and compare apples with apples..
This is an example of how a few of our competitors construct their “quilts.” It is not a quilt but they advertise it is. If you come into our shop we will more than gladly show you how this is constructed. Everyone we show it to immediately sees the difference.
This is what a quilt SHOULD look like (below). We spend time putting quality quilting into every quilt that goes our our doors. The price is cheap with the blanket above, but you will get what you pay for. We are not the most inexpensive quilt out there, but we pride ourselves on the quality craftsmanship we have put into our quilts for the last 20 years. You be the judge….
- Quality is the most important thing at QuiltMyShirts.com.
- We use 100% quilter’s grade cotton for all sashing and backing fabrics.
- All quilts are professionally machine quilted using computerized, state-of-the art equipment. Our patterns are less than 2″ apart in density, making them last for years to come.
- Our quilts are NOT hand-tied. Hand-tied quilts will not hold up to the multiple washings these quilts will undergo.
- We use a strong non-shine clear thread for maximum durability.
- Our battings are high-grade poly (20%)/cotton (80%) blend for the perfect weight and softness.
- We hold a NC bedding license, assuring you the exact fiber content of the materials used will be listed on your finished product.
Bottom line – if you want them to last a lifetime, have us make you a QUILT!